If you sent an item to Las Campanas and plan to return it, enclose the following specific instructions in the box for Las Campanas technical staff:
- Your name and contact information
- The earliest date it can be shipped
- The date needed at its destination, if known
- The name, shipping address, phone number, and email address of the recipient
- Contact information for the department paying the return shipping costs (name, address, phone number, email)
- Instructions to save the packing materials and specific instructions on packing or shipping requirements
When you're ready to ship the item out of Chile:
- Decide if you want to send it by FedEx or not (see below for the options). Put the appropriate address on the box(es).
- Ask one of Marc Leroy, Miguel Roth, or Franciso Figueroa, as appropriate, to send the box to Emma Molina with information on the contents, value, import date, etc.
- Also notify Emma Molina (molinae@ lco.cl) that you want to ship the item.
- Emma will collect the necessary paperwork, (original packing list, airway bill, and import permit) send it to Jorge Kruger at CTIO Santiago, with instructions on how to ship (FedEx or not).
- If Emma cannot locate the paperwork, she will contact Earl Harris for assistance.
- After the Ministry grants the export permit, Emma will send the box or item to Jorge Kruger in Santiago.
- Emma will send email to Earl Harris (earl@ obs.carnegiescience.edu), the shipping mailing list (shipping@ lco.cl), and the consignees, notifying them that the item has left La Serena.
Unless your item is too large, heavy, or dangerous for air freight, you may requested FedEx be used when returning equipment to the Santa Barbara Street facility. Address it in this manner:
813 Santa Barbara Street
Pasadena, CA 91101-1232
attn: Earl Harris
email: earl@ obs.carnegiescience.edu
IMPORTANT: Include in the FedEx waybill the words: "American goods being returned." The Harmonized Tarriff Code (HTC Schedule B) is 9005-10-0080. The description should read as "Astronomy Parts."
David Miller (david.miller@ fedex.com) and Nancy Nguyen (nanguyeh@ fedex.com) at FedEx will monitor our shipments. Include them on all communications with FedEx.
Using Cross International
To ship something through a freight forwarder other than FedEx (for example, if your items are too large for air freight or FedEx), address the item as follows:
c/o Cross International Customs Service
12923 Cerise Avenue
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Attn: Eileen Cross
email: crossintl@ hotmail.com or crossintlchb@ yahoo.com
Notify Eileen Cross at Cross International with all of the pertinent information (Cross International Customs Service, 10415 S. La Cienega Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045, USA. Phone: , Fax: 310-665-6430, Email: crossintl@ hotmail.com).
IMPORTANT: Include in the waybill the words: "American goods being returned." The Harmonized Tarriff Code (HTC Schedule B) is 9005-10-0080. The description should read as "Astronomy Parts."
How things move from Las Campanas to the US
In more detail, the process for shipping from Chile to the US is:
- Information about the equipment when it was imported into Chile, including copies of the packing list and import permit, are located.
- LCO uses these papers to generate a Commercial Invoice in English and Spanish, signed by LCO personnel.
- LCO sends the item to Santiago by courier.
- AURA generates a request for re-export of goods; the weight and volume of the item noted in the Commercial Invoice must match the re-export form.
- AURA presents the request to re-export to the Ministry.
- When the Ministry approves the re-export, AURA contacts the shipping company and sends out the box.